This is actually quite hard as a lot of people and sites have already made a lot of predictions, often covering the same ground. Therefore, I wanted to be a bit different and have a bit of fun so I’m not going to specify any dates. Some of these will probably be a bit controversial but here we go:
- Other online companies will follow Amazon’s lead and buy established “bricks and mortar” retailers to fuse tech and distribution.
- Uber tries to appeal the EU’s decision that they are a taxi company and not a technology company but lose. Other jurisdictions follow the EU’s lead and Uber never recovers. This has a massive impact on the overall gig economy forcing companies to reevaluate.
- Cryptocurrencies will be politicised, abused and experience a massive crash effectively wiping them out. All the sensible money leaves.
- Mark Zuckerberg reveals he has political ambitions after all. Not wanting to be criticised he “does a Trump” and supposedly signs over all control of Facebook while making a run for the White House.
- Twitter eventually sells to a large media conglomerate. Supported by the finances of the new parent company it scraps ads. Jack, Biz and Ev are all ousted. Developers are courted and the API extended leading to a rush of development and useful services spring up around Twitter data. User numbers grow significantly.
So, there you go. Nothing overly serious but all potentially possible.