The past couple of days have seen progress on the final chapter of (or should I say conclusion to) the writing project. I have used extracts of posts from the #Write365 project all the way through (they serve as a foundation for the whole thing) but yesterday saw me using the whole of one particular post, albeit with a slight rewrite. It laid out a story that perfectly introduced what I didn't previously know I was trying to say.
This morning, I started adding a couple of bullet points to my notes and had somewhat of a revelation — some may see it as overly twee but I believe it encapsulates my entire message in just a couple of sentences. I suppose that's the thing with conclusions, they're supposed to bring the threads together in such a way that you don't really need to read everything that comes before. Intro and extro, everything else is decoration.
I'm definitely interested in this discussion about the future of webmentions. Although I found it easier than expected to implement my own endpoint, once I dove into the spec, I am still of the opinion that things need to be much easier to implement.
I am reliant on a couple of PHP libraries and what I have cobbled together likely isn't terribly robust so, if the desire is for more people to use webmentions without resorting to the webmention.io service, then there needs to be a better way. What that is I can't say.
I don't know if I'll be able to attend the discussion, or if I'll be able to have any meaningful contribution, but believe webmentions are a fundamental building block of constructing a better web that is not in thrall to the large social media organisations.
I define a number of things as PHP constants (site name, email address, database tables, SMTP details, and so on) so that the code is generic and pulls the info in from the config file.
One of the constants is AVATAR — the image used for myself in blog comments and for webmentions. It is set on the admin page and written to the options table, I get the value using a function getOption() but forgot to assign it correctly leaving the constant empty. Fixed.